Autism Umbrella

There Are Many 'Different Shades' Of ASDs

HomePortalFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

What support in school does ur child recieve?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bambi
Admin

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2007-03-11

PostSubject: What support in school does ur child recieve?   16/6/2007, 6:15 am

Hi guys

I thought it best to ask so i know what i am looking for (even though our kids are all individual) in regards of support, what support does ur child get while attending a mainstream school?

T will need the ASD SALT input (as noted in his assessment report) and i wonder how regular this should be given the fact that he has a language impairment?

I know he will need to be school action plus (like he has been since nursery age) as this is an outside agency SALT that will be involved, once they have T in there to get a feel for him i think it will be evident where his problems lie, especially now i have this report to back me up even if the LEA & LA are being ignorant to it!! Mad

I just need some pointers as to what else i should be looking for support wise as i have never had a report like this before to back up the help T needs, any advice would be much appreciated Smile

mum2charlotte

Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2007-03-27

PostSubject: Re: What support in school does ur child recieve?   16/6/2007, 11:34 am

Although we have the support of a SALT, we don't use her to help with communication problems, so I can't help there.

C is also School Action Plus but has the added benefit of being regularly observed by the outreach team from our local Autistic school. TBH, they have been the best resource by far.

As she's coming up to leaving Reception ( Shocked ) they have started using her as a messenger and use lots of photos to help with the transition.

They have installed a towel hand drier in the loo so she can dry her hands on it as she is terrified of the hot air ones.

I have a lot of niggling little sticking points with the attitude of SOME of the staff there, but looking back over the last 6 months they have asked me more often than not what her dilemmas are, and how I think they could solve them OR they have used their initiative!

The only thing I can really say is that you have to be in daily contact with them to make sure T is happy. Then make sure you push them to solve the problem....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bambi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What support in school does ur child recieve?   16/6/2007, 2:44 pm

Thanx hun and i sure will be in daily contact.

misty

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2007-03-12

PostSubject: Re: What support in school does ur child recieve?   16/6/2007, 2:49 pm

Will have a good old natter with u about this hun I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bambi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What support in school does ur child recieve?   17/6/2007, 4:47 am

Thanx hun i appreciate that, i wont let any teachers or a school mess with Ts well-being anymore. Full co-operation is what i am looking for, why shouldnt we have this when it concerns our special needs children, its the least we can expect!

funkymamu

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2007-03-17

PostSubject: Re: What support in school does ur child recieve?   18/6/2007, 1:34 am

S has Schools Action+ with 10 hours a week LSA, he also has a weekly 20min session with something similar to ELSA which is emotional support. Unfortunately neither seem to be working at moment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bambi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What support in school does ur child recieve?   18/6/2007, 11:33 am

Thanx funkymamu and i hoping all goes well, time will tell eh!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What support in school does ur child recieve?   

Back to top Go down

What support in school does ur child recieve?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1