Share | 

School Trip

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mum2charlotte

Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2007-03-27

PostSubject: School Trip   10/6/2007, 1:15 am

Charlotte's class are going to a farm next week as part of their "Living Things" school project.

I have already made it crystal clear that she can't go without me, which school has accepted, BUT....the trip lasts from 9.00am until 3.00pm, which I feel is far too long for a bunch of 20+ 5 year olds with only 3 teachers to help them. (Isn't that ratio legally wrong?)

I always try and take C somewhere every Saturday for the day, and the situation (no matter where we go) is always the same. She is happy to go, but she rushes round looking at only what she wants to look at, is impossible to engage (although, I did hear myself at the aquarium yesterday and a lot of what I was saying actually contained a demand "Look at the turtle" "Can you see the eel?" when I should have worded it differently. Clearly not time to rip up the PDA L-plates yet!) and wants to spend lots of time in the gift shop.

I have had major reservations about the trip from the minute I heard about it, but having seriously concentrated on her behaviour over the last three weeks, I really do think that a whole day at the farm is too much for her. She will be happy for the first hour and then spend the rest of the day demanding to go home and becoming more aggressive (a side of her school has yet to witness) towards me as she can't have what she wants.

I want her to go, as I don't want her to feel excluded, but the thought of the monumental struggle I will have trying to stop her from running away, going into full blown melt-down, the attitude of the other children towards her (they stare and it drives me crazy, I know they can't help it, they're only 5, but I think about them going home to tell their parents etc etc) and the mis-understanding of the teachers just makes me think that we should go by ourselves.

I am prepared to drive there with her, meet up with the class and then take her home if it all gets too much (as I'm pretty sure it will) but school aren't keen (don't know why, but they say it won't be necessary. What do they know that I don't??)

What do I do?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kebab

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2007-03-14

PostSubject: Re: School Trip   10/6/2007, 2:02 am

Go with what you feel best, you know C and if you think she is going to get stressed then I think it would be better if you then take her home, at the end of the day you know her better than the school so tell them she can go aslong as you drive her there and take her home when she is ready, I hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mum2charlotte

Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2007-03-27

PostSubject: Re: School Trip   10/6/2007, 2:53 am

Ah, Kebab....you read my mind!
Thanks... hug
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GrandmaKyak

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2007-03-12

PostSubject: Re: School Trip   10/6/2007, 3:53 am

Here!Here! xx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bambi
Admin

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2007-03-11

PostSubject: Re: School Trip   10/6/2007, 4:29 am

Yep kebab is right hun, C is ur child and u know her better than anyone ever could, do exactly what makes u feel comfortable about the trip and good luck!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: School Trip   

Back to top Go down

School Trip
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1