Autism Umbrella

There Are Many 'Different Shades' Of ASDs

HomePortalFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Has anyone's child ever been diagnosed with food allergies?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kellie B.

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2007-04-30

PostSubject: Has anyone's child ever been diagnosed with food allergies?   10/5/2007, 3:39 pm

My son Jack was an extremely picky eater when he was little. His favorite foods were bread, crackers, cheese, and ice cream. He did not eat a wide variety of foods. He was especially fond of bread, and often would secretly go into the refrigerator and eat half a loaf. After he ate large amounts of bread, he would act out a lot more, and "autistic" type symptoms got worse. I really didn't connect his symptoms with what he had eaten, until we got an allergy screen done when he was about 7 years old. The results indicated a severe sensitivity to wheat gluten, and also a mild sensitivity to cow's milk. We eliminated both items from his diet, one at a time. I could not believe the difference in his behavior! He was like a different child! It really made a HUGE difference. It was difficult to adjust his diet, but it was worth it. I would encourage everyone to get their child screened for food allergies, or if you are unable to do that, eliminate one item at a time from their diet, and see if it makes a difference. Most common offenders are cow's milk, wheat gluten, and corn products.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mum2charlotte

Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2007-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone's child ever been diagnosed with food allergies?   11/5/2007, 2:38 am

Food is a big deal in our house right now Mad Charlotte doesn't seem to want to eat anything much, and I'm having to come up with all sorts of odd locations to eat dinner in!

Anyway, she doesn't seem to have any food allergies per se, but she most certainly reacts to various ingredients.

The red E number 122 is top of the list. This causes her to break out in the most appalling rash from head to toe and increases her hyperactivity. This can be found in CALPOL which I learned the hard way! I made my baby sicker than she already was! Unhappy mummy! Crying

There is also something in cornflakes that tips her over the edge. I don't know what it is, so I just don't buy cornflakes!

Brown chocolate is also a great trigger, although NOT white. So guess which colour we buy??

She cannot tolerate apple juice either (it causes too much acid in her urine) and, oddly, she can eat strawberries but if they touch her skin on her face, then she gets a horrible rash where ever the strawberry touched, which takes weeks to clear up.

There's probably more....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bambi
Admin

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2007-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone's child ever been diagnosed with food allergies?   11/5/2007, 4:11 am

Well T is yet to be tested for allergies and i too think T has a gluten/wheat problem. He craves bread and pasta and he has done for many years now and i do see it effects his behaviour. T will have bread with anything and everything and not a little amount but at least 4 slices at a time and pasta dishes he could eat all day everyday.

Im hoping to get to the bottom of it all when i get his assessment report and his health gets atteneded to like it should of been a long time ago.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone's child ever been diagnosed with food allergies?   

Back to top Go down

Has anyone's child ever been diagnosed with food allergies?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1