Share | 

PE lessons

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mum2charlotte

Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2007-03-27

PostSubject: PE lessons   24/4/2007, 9:58 am

Charlotte has always struggled with PE. It's far too demanding for her especially as it's in the afternoon, near the end of a demanding day....

Now the weather is nice (well down here it is) PE is held on the field. This just causes more problems as C is known to be a "runner" and will leg it at the first opportunity.

Now, usually, C doesn't "do" PE. Sometimes she can't even get changed into her PE kit, so she just sits it out in the corner of the hall (I'm not happy about that, but that's another thread altogether). Now they are on the field, she just runs off.

She was upset today as she claims that one of her teachers said that she was being "selfish". I never use the word myself, so I do believe her, but I don't know what context it was used in. Am I wrong to think that her teacher shouldn't be using the word at all? C isn't doing it because she wants to spoil it for everyone else....she can't help it.

I have had to moan about this teacher before, and I unwilling to do it again (although if I have to I will) as I don't know all the facts. The last time I moaned I DID know the facts and was simply told that "the school and teachers are all on a learning curve as the school has never had a child like C before", well neither have I!!!

I know that I could ask, but fear being fobbed off! If they know that C will behave in this way (and they do!) why can they not make provisions for her? I have even offered to go into school to help out at PE time because I didn't know what else to suggest, but they said no. I don't have a problem with that, but I do have a problem with inappropriate remarks made to my 5 year old!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bambi
Admin

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2007-03-11

PostSubject: Re: PE lessons   24/4/2007, 12:10 pm

You are quite right to be annoyed at such a comment! Mad how dare they call a 5 yr old selfish AND when she has a lifelong disability! cursing

I would suggest they either make provisions for her knowing she is a runner or allow u to go in and help during PE, i would put this in writing and await a response plus question the fact they called her selfish.

Always put anything u have to say down in writing (whoever it is to) this cannot be ignored or twisted when its all VERY clear in black and white! and its your evidence Wink

Good luck hun.

misty

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2007-03-12

PostSubject: Re: PE lessons   24/4/2007, 1:57 pm

hugging I agree with Bambi, my dd wouldnt even understand what selfish is let alone act like it is your dd the same? I think they should be providing one-one for outdoor PE given that Charlotte is a runner. Take care xxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mum2charlotte

PostSubject: Re: PE lessons   24/4/2007, 2:06 pm

Charlotte doesn't understand selfish as I've NEVER had to use the word to her. We either share happily or we don't need to share...

It's just us, so we don't have to consider anyone else and the concept of selfish simply doesn't arise....

I agree too that she needs 1:1 as well. I have a good relationship with her head teacher so I will send her an email to see what she thinks we should do....and then another one if she disagrees!

Thanks for your help. Being a single parent it's hard sometimes as I don't have anyone I can bounce ideas off. I'm not always sure if I over-react or not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bambi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: PE lessons   25/4/2007, 12:49 am

Bless ya, i know its not easy being a single parent as i am too and we dont know if we are getting it right half the time but no way should ur daughter be called such things!

Good luck with the email to the head and i hope its all sorted soon hugging

mum2charlotte

PostSubject: Re: PE lessons   25/4/2007, 2:57 am

Charlotte wasn't happy about me leaving her at school today. She seems to be getting unhappier these days...

Anyway, while I was trying to get her to sit on the carpet with all the others (I failed by the way, but she was happy when I left, so that's fine with me!) and one of her classmates was telling me that "Charlotte keeps walking out of the classroom". Sad

I'm not at all happy with this at all. Her behaviour all points towards the fact that I think it's time she WAS statemented. To me she is showing all the signs that she can't cope. I know the signs, and I also know that she'll be unhappy at hometime and I'll bear the brunt of it.

Bugger the email.....I'm making an appointment!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marshmallow

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2007-03-14

PostSubject: Re: PE lessons   25/4/2007, 3:13 am

Good luck with the appointment, I hope she get s the help she needs, so she can enjoy school, in my opinion everyone learns better when thay are happy, and you know your daughter best, so go for it thumbup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
misty

Number of posts : 783
Registration date : 2007-03-12

PostSubject: Re: PE lessons   25/4/2007, 4:56 am

hugging what upsets me is that you heard this from another child Sad this is a serious safety issue and should have been discussed with you long before now, good luck with the appointment xxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mum2charlotte

PostSubject: Re: PE lessons   25/4/2007, 11:10 am

I had a little meet with the SENCo (whose opening line was "I can't be long, I'm on a break". Lucky mare, wish I could get a break! I guess she thinks I sit at home and do nothing all day. How I wish that were true)

So, I told her that C was unhappy and what I thought the reason was, but as it's concerned with another child (M) in her class there's little I can do except try and reinforce the need to have more than 1 friend and console her when he "snubs" her.

I also said that I was told by L that she leaves the classroom. Surely this must happen a lot for a 5 year old to notice? Not sure, but I wanted to know why she feels the need to leave, how many times it might happen and what we can do as the people with parental responsibility to put it right and keep her safe. She cannot leave the school grounds, but she is known as a "hider", so the possibility of them not being able to find her is quite high....

I also mentioned the PE thing and wanted to hit upon a solution.

The upshot is, I have a 15 minute appointment with her class teacher next Wednesday..... :;-':
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bambi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: PE lessons   25/4/2007, 12:35 pm

Is that all?! 15 lousy mins?! ranting wow i think that stinks! u would want at least 30 mins even more like an hour to discuss all what u have to discuss, they make me so angry when it seems to be of no importance regarding our kids not coping with school and especially in mainstream! censored!

Ok so now u explain to them thats not long enough and u are given them 7 days to come up with a reasonable time (minimum 30 mins) for another appoitnment as 15 mins is not enough time for what u have to discuss.

I would say start the stat assessment asap and start the ball rolling, T went downhilll very fast and his regression was hell to live with resulting in our GP having to sign him off school with anxiety and depression, yep a 6 yr old with probs this severe and its all wrong! Sad

I cant believe what u said coz the same was with T i was hearing from other children and parents what his teacher should of been informing me about (so many things) but yet they were saying T was 'fine in school' censored they dont know the meaning of the word fine! ranting

Hope u get this sorted hun and the sooner the better hugging

mum2charlotte

PostSubject: Re: PE lessons   25/4/2007, 2:27 pm

Oh, forgot to say.....the time of the appointment?

The time the children get let out for the day?

We all know that this is going to be a 10 minuter!

Just when I thought the sun was shining on C, there seems to be a cloud approaching.....

I was only told of the appointment time at the end of the day (when picking C up), so I couldn't say anything as I have to focus on C all the time..... cursing

One unhappy mummy.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bambi
Admin

PostSubject: Re: PE lessons   25/4/2007, 2:38 pm

Bless ya hug but please do put it in writing that this is not good enough and u need more time, good luck!

mum2charlotte

PostSubject: Re: PE lessons   25/4/2007, 2:42 pm

Maybe the teacher is just being selfish?? Rolling Eyes

Will put it in writing ASAP!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PE lessons   

Back to top Go down

PE lessons